Thursday, January 19, 2012

Time to get FUNKY!

In observing most of my friends since I've been to college, I have found that after a break, particularly a long break (aka winter break), college students tend to go into some kind of a down-in-the-dumps stage. In essence, we all go into a funk right after we get snapped back into reality.

Being in said "funk" is really depressing, especially if you're a long way from home. It basically consists of homesickness, refusing to leave your room for extended periods of time, starting at old pictures of home, becoming a bit anti-social, refusing to do anything productive, and most of all, just missing home and the freedom of the previous break. So now the ultimate question arises: how do we get ourselves out of this funk?

One thing you do not want to do, is all I've mentioned above. Sitting in your room wallowing in self pity isn't going to take you home, and certainly don't put on your sparkly red stillettos and pull the Dorothy Gale, because it just doesn't work (I've tried). The best thing you can do is just get the ball rolling. Let me explain this: you just need to do something positive and start some kind of positive chain reaction that keeps you out of your room and out of that funk.

For starters, don't try to do your homework in your room. You'll just end up in that same downward spiral of self-pity. So get out and go to the library, or go to another friend's room. You may not get much homework done in the midst of watching The Kardashians, Modern Family, and Sweet Home Alabama, but trust me, you'll be in a much better mood than if you sat in your room, procrastinating by clicking through old photo albums of your high school days!

Second, do something for yourself! In my last blog, I discussed leaving some time to enjoy life, so pick one of my choices of life-enjoyment activities and get crackin. I've found it really helps to lift my mood when I read for fun or take a walk by the lake.

Another thing that helped me get out of my funk was drama auditions. I didn't get called back, but putting one foot in front of the other doing something I loved was like the cherry on top of my mood-lifter sundae. I even impressed the audition judges. How cool is that?

The last thing I did to cheer myself up: American Idol and chocolate ice cream. I took a break last night and watched the show that will lead to my future success (wink wink), and ate my favorite ice cream. Granted, it wasn't moose tracks, but it certainly lifted my mood!

Keep it classy. Keep it country,
Gretta Patrick <3

No comments:

Post a Comment