Saturday, June 13, 2015

My dog Bacchus

chicagocountrygirl.blogspot.com
This big softie has a smile that'll melt your heart! 
I have an 11 year old yellow lab named Bacchus

Yes, we named him for the God of Wine in Roman mythology. However, if you know anything about Roman mythology, you know that Bacchus was pretty much a party boy and a wild child. This dog is the complete opposite of his mythological namesake.

He pretty much sleeps all day. He's like a canine Koala!

Bacchus doesn't like to lick people's faces. Mom and dad call him a 'gentleman,' because he basically keeps to himself and doesn't do anything to upset anyone. When he was younger, he used to sit up straight if you came up to him while he was laying down. But anymore, he'll just roll over for a belly rub every time you see him.

Although Bacchus won't lick anyone's face, he always licks mine when I'm petting him, because he somehow senses that I like it.

One time, Bacchus kept nipping at my hands, and I had no clue what to do

I was a little girl, and Bacchus was still a puppy. It had snowed outside and I went out to go sledding. It was Bacchus' first winter, and he loved to play in the snow. He was jumping all over the place and running as fast as his stubby little legs could carry him. He chased me all the way down the sledding hill and followed me back up it.

There was just one problem: Every time I'd get to the bottom of the hill, Bacchus would start running back and forth in front of me, and nipping at my hands! He nearly destroyed my gloves doing it. For some reason, he was very intent on putting his little mouth on my hands and running all over the place.

Not going to lie, it hurt a little bit. He was doing it so much every time I was at the bottom of the hill, that I had to go inside. He just wouldn't stop nipping my hands! I ran inside, got all my snow gear off, and told my dad, "Hey, we need to do something about Bacchus biting my hands! He wouldn't stop nipping at me while I was sledding."

My dad just started laughing. I mean, looking back on it now, it is pretty funny, but at the time, I was confused. My dad proceeded to tell me why Bacchus had been so intent on biting my gloves off.

You see, my house is very cold in the winter, and the best way to heat it is by wood stove. So my dad goes out every winter and cuts wood about once a week to burn in the stove. He always takes Bacchus and Maddie with him. Well, when he goes woodcutting, he puts his work gloves on.

When Dad comes out in the Garage, he slips his gloves on, and then he roughhouses with the dogs a little bit. They love that playtime with Dad. Then, after he puts on his gloves, and lowers the tailgate on the old truck, the dogs go on an awesome adventure with Dad to the woods to run and play and find small animals to chase while Dad chops wood for the stove.

So, when Bacchus saw my gloves, he thought it was time to wrestle, and play, and go on an adventure. He kept nipping at me because he wanted me to realize, "Hey! You have those fun paw things on that mean its time to play! So why aren't you playing with me!?"

After hearing that, I couldn't help but laugh too.

Keep it Classy, Keep it Country,
Gretta Patrick <3

Have any funny dog stories you'd like to share with me? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment