Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Put Your Big Girl Pants On...

Less than a month until I go back to school in my wonderful city of Chicago! I've already started getting things together, for instance, I bought a bunch of mason jars to use as water glasses (you can take the girl out of the country...), and I have finally passed the biggest milestone of the summer, getting my wisdom teeth out. This wisdom teeth surgery has had me canceling plans right and left, most - no - all of these plans involved seeing Kyle. This did not make Gretta a happy camper. Now that those incredibly stupid-not-wise-at-all teeth are out of my mouth, I may be a little sore, but I'm a much happier camper!

Anyway, the topic of todays blog is something at which a lot of girls nowadays are not good: dealing. I'm not talking about dealing out cards, I'm talking about dealing with bumps in the road. Take my wisdom teeth surgery for example, I had to cancel going to not one, but two cubs games for these un-wise teeth. I had to cancel one game (and visit to Kyle) to have my consultation, and I had to cancel a second game/visit to have adequate time to heal from the surgery. Plus I had to go home a day early from a 4-day concert (That I had already paid for) in order to even have the surgery. All summer I've been thinking, "If this dumb surgery didn't have to happen then none of this would have been a problem. Why did God even give us wisdom teeth huh? They're pointless!"

After my rage, my temper tantrums, yelling at my daddy, and a whole lot of tears, I finally realized that there was nothing I could do about the situation. I had 2 extra teeth in the bottom of my mouth that were going to mess up my smile if they stayed in there, and they had to come out whether the cubs and Toby Keith played or not. So, I had to learn to deal.

I'd like to say that I put my big girl pants on and dealt with it, but I wouldn't call screaming and crying putting my big girl pants on exactly. I'd call it melting down, and melting down has always been how I've dealt with things. Not the most effective or pleasant method, but my method nonetheless. What I have failed, until now, to realize is, none of that melting down helped. What did help was a family friend giving me 4 extra tickets to the cubs/diamondbacks game. What helped was my boyfriend picking me up from my concert when I desperately needed a shower and a bed and a ride to the train station. What helped was calmly setting a date for him to visit Paris since I can't leave town while I'm recovering from my surgery. What helped was making alternative plans.

Sure, melting down may seem like a quick fix, and believe me, getting your feelings out can definitely blow off a lot of steam, but it doesn't accomplish anything. However, girls like me have to melt down sometimes, so if you must, just make sure nobody else suffers from your tantrums. Go in your room and lock the door, have a good scream and cry, knock some chairs down, kick the wall, then come out of your room a calmer person and come up with a plan B. Works for me every time.

Keep it classy, Keep it country!
Gretta Patrick <3

No comments:

Post a Comment